Thanksgiving Fun Facts – As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. – John F. Kennedy
Twelve Thanksgiving Fun Facts!
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird, not the eagle.
- Americans eat 46 million turkeys each Thanksgiving.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest pumpkin pie ever baked weighed 2,020 pounds and measured just over 12 feet long.
- Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin’s first meal in space after walking on the moon was foil packets with roasted turkey.
- The heaviest turkey on record, according to the Guinness Book of Records, weighs 86 pounds.
- Californians consume the most turkey in the U.S. on Thanksgiving Day!
- Female turkeys (called hens) do not gobble. Only male turkeys gobble.
- The average turkey for Thanksgiving weighs 15 pounds.
- No forks at the first Thanksgiving, only spoons and knives.
- Wild turkeys can run 20 miles per hour when they are scared.
- Thanksgiving is the reason for TV dinners. In 1953 Swanson had so much extra turkey that a salesman told them they should package it onto aluminum trays with other sides like sweet potatoes.
- Campbell’s soup created green bean casserole for an annual cookbook 50 years ago. It now sells $20 million worth of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Thanksgiving Fun Facts – Fifteen Reasons to Give Thanks on Thanksgiving!
1) Freedom. Despite frustration with politics. I’m very thankful for the men and women — and their families — serving in the military.
2) Friends and family. I’m thankful for new relationships and connections this past year — both online and right here at home. Of course, I love my long-time friendships as well.
3) Healthy Children. Children from families who eat together on a regular basis are more likely to have family support, positive peer influences, and positive role models. The world of tomorrow will inherit the children of today.
4) Nature. I’m thankful for the beautiful world around me — for the changing seasons, the brilliant colors, the promise of coming spring.
5) Finding money in your pocket. Money that hasn’t been budgeted for, remembered, or owed. It is disposable income in the truest sense of the phrase.
6) A pet. Having a pet helps you stay connected to life. They are great companions and the perfect best friend. They are always around when you need them and provide constant and loving companionship. They ask for very little in return, they just want to be where you are.
7) Your health, even on days when it isn’t perfect. Being healthy means that your body is functioning as it should, without pain or discomfort. When we are in good health, we can enjoy all the good things in life, in moderation, without guilt or shame.
8) Your support system. It can be people at work, at home or spread out all over the country. Knowing there are people who are there for you can make all the difference. They are people who will lift you up and give you whatever you need with only a moment’s notice.
9) The healing power of music. Music has the power to heal and to join people together in peace. The spirit of music is within us all. Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
10) Laughter. It makes us happy and healthy. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded. Nothing diffuses anger and conflict faster than a shared laugh.
11) Desserts. To live without them is to live in a colorless world. Eating desserts means that you have a good sense of what you want. We feel like we are feeding our soul with food that makes us feel like we’ve finally found Heaven. Desserts make life more enjoyable.
12) Police Officers, Firefighters, and all First Responders. These brave men and women risk their lives daily to save the lives of others. They work long and crazy hours around the clock, and rush to scenes helping complete strangers without thinking twice. They put themselves on the front line of dangerous and traumatic events every day.
13) Love. Love is accepting difference. It is letting each one be who they are without fear of censure. Love is an unselfish, loyal concern for the good of another. It is a wonderful feeling.
14) Good food and Clean Water. Good food gives us the energy we need to survive. Fresh water is one of our most vital resources. The quality of our water is directly linked to the quality of our lives. Without good food and clean water, the body cannot grow or perform at its best, our organs stop working, and the body eventually dies. We are blessed to have the best of both.
15) Money. Money is great because it means that life is not a constant effort at keeping our heads above water. When we have money, we are able to live life to the fullest, enjoy adventures, and make the most out of life.
Thanksgiving Fun Facts – Decorate with a Thanksgiving Lighted Wreath!
20″ Pre-lit Fall Wreath Thanksgivings Decor for Front Door or above fireplace – with 20 Warm Lights – with Pumpkins, Maple Leaves, Pine Cones and Berries – Battery Operated. Link to Amazon below.
We at Secret Serendipity have Much to be Thankful for!
Join us at www.SecretSerendipity.com – where great insights reveal deep discoveries! Where great insights can impact future choices and attitudes! Where we strive for a deeper understanding of the power of the Universe!